Monday, May 17, 2010

Group Presentation

In my group for The Jungle, I worked with mandy, Jason, Jeff, and Kathy. We all worked well together and conversed mainly via email as the week before our presentation was Spring Break and some of us were not close to campus. We met one time before spring break to discuss what kinds of things we could incorporate during the class discussion; we met for more than two hours! We all agreed that having just a normal discussion would be boring and wanted to do something different. Mandy suggested to play a game, at which point I suggested Jeopardy. This idea was soon deemed ineffective because playing Jeopardy would be too confusing and time consuming. Mandy suggested a courtoom scene and we all agreed on it because one of the novel’s major themes is injustice of the people within a capitalist economy.

My Contribution: I made signs (placards) for all the six categories: church, factory owners, politicians, child laborers, factory workers, and prostitutes. I also suggested that we have some food, at which point the group decided snacks with wine would be better.

Afterthoughts: Once it was almost time to present, I started getting nervous as to how effectier our courtroom scenario would be. I was glad that it went well. Everyone contributed to the discussion and it lasted for almost the entire class period. I especially appreciated my classmates following our requirement of responding to questions with quotations from the text (as evidence) rather than just from memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment